Wednesday, March 17, 2010

QUESTION OF THE DAY





Weds. 3/17 Lordsburg-Silver City NM 46.7 miles
And the question is... Can a biker go 3.2 mph ascending to the Continental Divide with a headwind and stay upright? I am here to testify YES you can because I did it today! Smooth, wide shoulders, blue blue sky and sparse traffic though so what's to complain about?
When I looked at the mileage sheet before the trip started, I saw those low mileage days and thought - oh piece of cake. I now realize that low mileage means big hills. Started out today at 32 degrees- I was the coldest I've been for about 6 miles- then the ascents began. Made it to the CD, then there were some lovely rollers where if you sped down the downhill you could get half way up the next up hill but yes more head winds. A gruelling uphill on the outskirts of Silver City rewarded by a fantastic 4 mile downhill, spinning the whole way and then of course more up. Visited two bike shops in town for extra gear (perhaps snow on Friday?) and then enjoyed a corn beef and cabbage dinner in the Comfort Inn parking lot accompanied by Van Morrison and the Beatles on my ipod. We rocked! (one picture is of copper mine) Climbed 3700 feet today- more on Friday I hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment