Sunday, March 21, 2010

KINGSTON-LAS CRUCES, NM Saturday 3/20 88 miles





Left Kingston "late" at 8:30 am hoping it would warm up. The puddles from yesterday's rain storm were frozen. Official temperature 28 degrees. Wait a minute, I don't ride in the cold! First 9 miles downhill out of the mountains were soooooo cold with cross winds for good measure. I wore rain gear just to stay warm. First sag at 26 miles -operative words cold/winds. Many people sagged at 26 because it was so uncomfortable and then a miracle happened. After the sag we turned south and that horrible cross wind became a tail wind. Still cold but oh what a difference. A long ride to Las Cruces but pretty much big gears the whole way. YIPEEEE

Lunched in Hatch, NM the WORLD Capitol of Chilis. Chili ristras were everywhere. Before Hatch there were miles and miles of chili farms and pecan groves, after Hatch hundreds of acres of pecan groves all the way to Las Cruces. The thought of this ride was daunting to me, the ride was in fact daunting but I did it!!! Linda's delicious split pea soup, corn bread and quinoa salad for dinner

Falling behind on my group line up. Tomorrow I will start with Wonder Women of the Sag, 4 riders who rotate driving the sag car every four days. So they ride 3 days and drive one. More details tomorrow. Note one photo of cattle gates - the bane(pain) of bike riders- one slight turn of the wheel as you cross and you go down. They seem to be everywhere in the southwest but haven't seen many cattle- and the ones we have are behind fences. Katie and Patti among the chili ristras- someday soon I will learn how to put captions under each picture!

Did I ever mention blog comments and new followers are better than Christmas morning when I check in each day. Thank you everyone for your interest. XOXO kk

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas! Finally figured out all this tech stuff-well, at least enough to let you know "I'M WATCHING YOU". Loving the blog and all the great photos. We all missed you at Babes, but I think everyone is reading the blog and so excited for you. E turns 21 tomorrow! That's my big accomplishment for the week. Dinner at Dunlays with Jeffrey and JohnnyBoy tonite- you are really missing ALOT in Chicago. Maybe I will start a blog so you can keep up with all the excitement here. It's going to hit 50 today- woohoo! and the sun is out-life is good, but oh so lonely without you. Peace, love and bikes-DG

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a trip - you're continuing to be awesome. Riding, photos and taking the time to blog. After you describe your day, I start to salivate when you talk about the dinners - as if I had been riding also.

    ReplyDelete