Saturday, March 13, 2010

A DAY OF SURPRISES





Friday 3/12 Wickenburg to Phoenix 67 miles


Started out as a cold sunny morning with stops for cactus pictures. Some long gradual climbs and road construction. The desert is verdant -even the desert floor is green with snow capped mountains in the distance. We sped up the pace today and went to a bike shop in Cave Creek midday to switch out carbon seat post with an alloy post. One day of wearing back pack was enough for me - bike bag can go back on seat tomorrow. First day since we started where I arrived at the hotel room before my room mate-amazing. Then the fun began! Margaret pulling strings in Chicago has old friend Carl Retter (aka Clarkie the Clown) who I have not seen in 30 years, hand deliver the most sublime pastries Phoenix has to offer, to me at the hotel- and enough for all to share. A great visit with Carl filled with Detroit memories. Could the day get any better- well in fact yes it could. My dear friend Tom Everett (TE), his wife Diane and daughter Tam pick me up and we have a lovely dinner in Scottsdale. TE is one of my inspirations for this ride. For you new followers I will put a copy of a letter I sent to 100+ friends in the blog- which explains it all. That’s it for a very eventful, memory lane day (can you find the sheep?) My pictures somehow load backward- anyone know how to solve that?

No comments:

Post a Comment