Sunday, March 7, 2010

ALPINE TO JACUMBA HOT SPRINGS 47 Miles






Saturday 3/6 day starts with looong climb out of Alpine then a 3 mile climb on I8 scary but not as bad as I imagined and not too much debris on the shoulder. Sag stop is farewell to califoo- he goes home tomorrow. Weather cold (40s?) cloudy seems to be getting colder. A lovely 3 mile descent into Pine Valley with a reward at the end of a grilled cheese sandwich and hot chocolate at the Pine Valley diner- a food combination I would generally avoid but oh did it taste good!! Put on rain gear and booties to stay warm-More and more and more climbing. LOTS of border patrol trucks zooming here and there -went through a roadblock. Picture of the wall is included- (I'm biting my political commentary tongue) - an impromptu stop at La Posta diner - here is a picture of Ms.Penny Nickels (yep that's her real name)and the Duke. Started raining after La Posta - last 17 miles rain, fog, wind but Katie and I put our shower caps over our helmets , turned on all of our blinking lights and carried on in fine fashion. Margaret - it was an Iberico ham afternoon but maybe a little colder- I thought of you the whole way! Arrived drenched and cold at Jacumba Hot spring Lodge, a motel with its own strange (je ne sais quoi??) charm??
some good daily quotes are emerging - today's was Carols description of hills---"terrain features" and Amys "this isn't a death march"
Linda's food is made with love and delectable!!

1 comment:

  1. When I stopped at La Posta diner, owner was a Navy Viet Nam vet......wouldn't let me pay for anything...nice people!
    Enviously, Bill

    ReplyDelete