Tuesday, March 23, 2010

THE DREADED CHIP AND SEAL!





Fort Hancock -Van Horn, TX 3/23 Tues. 73.5 miles
I had been warned about this by cross country veterans but the dreaded West Texas chip and seal road surfaces appeared today- and I'm sure this is just the beginning. After a leisure 20 miles on a small country road, we were on I10 for 2 miles and then 30 miles of chip and seal frontage road. Rattling and jarring our way up hill was challenging but oh those heavenly tail winds- 24 miles with a 30+mph gusts of tail winds- we flew down along that frontage road at about 25 mph- then another 8 miles on I 10 down hill into Van Horn, strong tail wind- wow - all we needed was a sail. Beautiful mountains in the distance on all sides , railroad tracks to the left, I10 to the right and desolate desert all around. We may not have wifi for a days as we get into the heartland of Texas so I will catch up as soon as I can

1 comment:

  1. Look at those beautiful horses! I would have jumped off the bike and onto a horse! How wonderful. Thanks for the blog. All your followers feel like we're right there with you. Keep up the pace. Tony is anxious to meet you and your group next week.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete